Femme Conference 2010: No Restrictions!
Steering Committee Orientation
- Representation on conference calls
- As a chair/co-chair, you are responsible for making sure you, your co-chair, or a steering committee delegate represents your committee on the conference call
- Co-chairs are responsible for communicating about important decisions/updates and bringing them to the conferee call to be discussed
- Voting Issues/Voice in decisions
- Each chair has a vote on committee decisions
- If you have a strong opinion about a topic, you are responsible for communicating your vote to the steering committee either through voicing it on the conference call, having your co-chair voice your opinion, or voicing it on the listserv
- If a vote comes up and you feel it is important that it go to full committee, a vote can be tabled until the next conference all, or can be brought to the listserv for a fuller vote
- Our discussions as a committee are confidential. The purpose of this confidentiality is not secrecy, but rather to ensure that each member feels comfortable and safe expressing their opinions about all aspects of the conference planning. At times we may get into tough issues (access, privilege, oppression, race, class, what is femme, identity, etc) and to have the space to fully explore and intentionally make decisions that feel good for the committee each member needs to be able to take risks to express thoughts as they are developing, even if they may change.
- Bottom line, the process we want to develop is as transparent as possible, and the confidentiality piece is meant to provide a safe space for all of us to work through things as we go along. Let’s keep a dialogue with each other open about this.
- BUILD YOUR COMMITTEE!!
- Make contact with committee members, keep them in the loop.
- We need to “hit the ground running” and committee members can help you get the work done!
- Provide a committee board report each week by 12pm the day of the conference call.
- This report should consist of any updates, action items, important issues or questions that your committee may have.
- Use the listserv! This is the most efficient manner of communication for all of us to keep in touch with each other.